Job description Represents the state of Texas in the US Senate, the upper chamber of the legislative branch. Term is six years.
Descripción del trabajo
Representa el estado de Texas en el Senado de los Estados Unidos, la cámara alta de la rama legislativa. El término es de seis años.
Annual salary $174,000
Democrat Ted Cruz (incumbent)
Republican Neal Dikeman (Libertarian)
1. What is your current occupation? Educational background? What experiences do you have that make you the best candidate for US Senator?
Beto O’Rourke Answer: I have been a public servant since 2005 serving the people of El Paso first in City Council then as their Congressman. As the Congressman for District 16, I committed to holding open town halls (at least 1 per month) in the district and have had over 90 public events. I am deeply committed to listening to my constituents and would serve the state of Texas the same way.
2. What percentage of your campaign donations comes from individuals? What percentage comes from PACs?
Beto O’Rourke Answer: We have raised over 5 million dollars exclusively from people. Not a dime of our money has come from PACs. Our average online donation is $25, and over 70% of the total donations have come from within Texas.
3. If elected, what would be the first piece of legislation that you would propose?
Beto O’Rourke Answer: There are many possibilities because there is so much work to be done on healthcare, workers’ rights, civil liberties, foreign policy, veterans’ issues, and more. But one piece of legislation I was particularly proud to have introduced was the No PAC Act, which bars political candidates from accepting PAC contributions. I believe this change to our campaign finance laws is a critical step in fixing American politics.
4. What is your position on the legalization of recreational and medical marijuana? What regulations should there be on marijuana usage?
Beto O’Rourke Answer: I believe we should end federal prohibition of marijuana.
5. What are your priorities for comprehensive immigration reform?
Beto O’Rourke Answer: I support comprehensive immigration reform that includes a clear, consistent, and reasonable pathway to citizenship.
6. What solutions to you propose for health care system reform?
Beto O’Rourke Answer: I believe there are several steps we should take together to increase access to healthcare in Texas:
• Improve the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by stabilizing our insurance markets. We can do so by guaranteeing continued payments for ACA subsidies that reduce enrollees’ cost-sharing and reimbursing insurers for high-cost individuals.
• Incentivizing insurers to participate in the exchanges, especially in underserved counties.
• Expanding Medicaid to cover more Texans and protecting the Medicaid guarantee for vulnerable children, the disabled, and the elderly.
• Lowering premiums and prescription drug costs by using the government’s purchasing power to make healthcare more affordable for everyone.
• Creating a public option on the exchanges so that Americans are guaranteed affordable coverage.
• Achieving universal healthcare coverage— whether it be through a single payer system, a dual system, or otherwise – so that we can ensure everyone is able to see a provider when it will do the most good and will deliver healthcare in the most affordable, effective way possible.