This calendar, like the overall site, is non-partisan. We will post events that are of community or political interest, regardless of party. Events must be of legitimate interest to people of goodwill.
That said, we reserve the right to not post any event we deem inappropriate or offensive.
Click HERE to submit an event for this calendar.
- This event has passed.
Caravan for Safe School Opening
August 1 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm CDT
Indivisible Denton County: *This event is led by BIPOC community leaders*
If you’re ready to take a stand and make our voices heard, now is the time. Members from Texas for Safe School Opening and Texas Teacher Safety Initiative have come together to rally teachers, parents, and communities in support of a safe return for children, teachers, and all school employees.
THIS EFFORT IS IN ADDITION TO THE HARD WORK OF OUR CAMPUS, DISTRICT, AND UNION LEADERS ACROSS THE STATE. THIS EFFORT IS TO ELEVATE THE VOICES OF OVER 8,000 TEXAS TEACHERS WHO HAVE EXPRESSED SUPPORT FOR THE EFFORTS.
“We are giving names and faces to the word teacher. We are people with needs and concerns. We are desperate to return to school, but it must be safe for our children, our families, our educators, and all school personnel in Texas.”
DENTON, TEXAS has joined in solidarity with our own car caravan. Meet around the Square at 6pm. Go time is 6:30pm. The route will start at the Denton Downtown Square.
**Follow the event for updates about the route**
The Digital Rally includes ways to contact your local and state representatives, as well as some guidance on how to post and what to post on social media.
Use this toolkit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NZ2Tmy3zRdFmAUnYqwx7d1R8hf7dhR96jxb8H4W4tYg/edit
When promoting this event, please use the following hashtags;
1. Waive the minutes of instruction requirement and allow us to separate kids into smaller cohorts. We are restricted in doing that right now because we have to get in the required minutes. Allow staggered scheduling
2. No standardized testing. Give us those instructional minutes back and use the money for safety purposes.
3. CARES gives 10 paid days for COVID. The state should enact something akin to what happens to soldiers when we are deployed: we are guaranteed our jobs when we return. If someone has to be out for three months with COVID, the state should put them on unemployment on day 11 and guarantee the job when cleared by a doctor.
4. The children that have to go to school. Should only be there for 3 days instead of 5.
1. keep kids home if they have any possible way to do so
2. write to the governor about allowing real local control (eliminating the requirement to have in-person school daily) and eliminating STAAR test.
PLEASE NOTE: Please deal with TEA accordingly. They have caused our State to be in unrest.
If you don’t have a vehicle, and choose to march instead, please follow social distancing rules (at least 6 feet between marchers), and be sure to wear a mask. *Social distancing is a top priority for this event.*
Please follow event updates!
Please share with teachers, parents, students, and concerned citizens!