|Job description||Presiding officer of the Commissioner’s Court (made up of the County Judge & four Commissioners), the governing body of the county. It is not a judicial court. Term is four years.|
|Duties||Builds and maintains the county’s roads and bridges.
Sets county tax rates and approves the county budget.
Manages all county facilities; builds, maintains, and improves county facilities, including jails.
Provides for hospitals, public welfare, and veterans assistance.
Establishes voting precincts and appoints precinct judges.
Appoints county officials, hires personnel, manages county contracts and payments.
|Annual salary||$198,000 (maximum salary)|
Recent News Articles
- “Meet the Democratic candidates in the race to become Tarrant County judge,” Fort Worth Report (Jan 18, 2022) https://fortworthreport.org/2022/01/18/meet-the-democratic-candidates-in-the-race-to-become-tarrant-county-judge/
- “Meet the Republican candidates running to replace Glen Whitley as Tarrant County judge,” Fort Worth Report (Jan 18, 2022) https://fortworthreport.org/2022/01/18/meet-the-republican-candidates-running-to-replace-glen-whitley-as-tarrant-county-judge/
- “Voters will decide how drastically Tarrant County Commissioners Court will shift under new leadership,” Fort Worth Report (Jan 18, 2022) https://fortworthreport.org/2022/01/18/voters-will-decide-how-drastically-tarrant-county-commissioners-court-will-shift-under-new-leadership/
- “O’Hare-Price matchup likely to set Tarrant County’s political direction,” Fort Worth Report (Jan 17, 2022) https://fortworthreport.org/2022/01/17/ohare-price-matchup-likely-to-set-tarrant-countys-political-direction/
- “Clinging to power,” Fort Worth Weekly (Jan 12, 2022) https://www.fwweekly.com/2022/01/12/clinging-to-power/
- “21 people died in the Tarrant County jail last year. That’s unacceptable” [editorial], Dallas Morning News (Dec 5, 2021) https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2021/12/06/21-people-died-in-the-tarrant-county-jail-last-year-thats-unacceptable/ (paywall)